Friday, April 27, 2007

Underwear

Yes, underwear. One of my colleagues told me the other day that a student wrote an essay about underwear on her midterm exam. The prompt was to write about an advertisement that had convinced you to buy a product, so I guess it sort of fit - but we both still found some of the details she included a bit odd for an academic assignment. Thinking back to my first time in Korea, though, I suppose it shouldn't have surprised me too much. Back then I received underwear as a Teachers' Day present from one of my elementary school students; I'd been told that it was a common gift, but it was still a bit of a shock when I opened the package. Another pair of students (brother and sister, about 8 and 10 years old) gave me nylons - and when the girl handed them to me she said, "Don't worry, teacher. They're big size!" Isn't it funny how cultural ideas about what makes an appropriate essay topic or gift for a teacher can vary so widely?

This being midterm week, I've spent most of my time grading tests; these thoughts on underwear are the most entertaining thing I can think of to write about. But Eric arrives tomorrow from China, the first in a string of visitors I'm looking forward to over the next two months - and I trust that touring around with them and seeing Korea again through fresh eyes will provide some good material for upcoming reflections on life here in Seoul!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

I'm glad grading can be somewhat entertaining. I get a batch of papers tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather!
I can't help but think of the cute undies we gifted each other in China. Whatever happened to them?

Have fun with Eric!
- LeeAnne