Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Buddha's Birthday


Yesterday was Buddha's birthday (2,500-something this year, I think); it's an official holiday here in South Korea, and also, from what I can gather, in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau. That means I technically had the day off, but I spent most of it in my office working on a training manual for our summer teaching interns. In the evening I took a break from that and went with a couple of friends to Bongwonsa, one of Seoul's larger temples, to observe the festivities. Here's what we saw:







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Heather,
I appreciated the pictures. One of my students has a precious adopted sister from China. He wrote in his testimony (The whole family went to China to get the baby.) about seeing the people there praying to Buddha and how that made him realize how important it is to pray to the one true God. - MVH

Gus/Adri said...

The pictures are good. I was reminded of nail salons where they have a small buddha surrounded by candles or incense sticks; also food, usually an apple, and I can't remember what else. It serves to remind me of the great one true God we serve.
--ae