Friday, June 13, 2008

B-boys

A couple of weeks ago some friends and I went to an international b-boy competition in Suwon, a city just south of Seoul. Here's what I learned there:

1. Break-dancing did not die in the 80's. It's alive and well in the b-boy/hip-hop world.
2. B-boy dance teams are not teams, they are crews.
3. Crew names should never end with an 's'.
4. You shouldn't underestimate a crew based on its name. Pokemon, the French crew in this competition, was not as lame or cheesy as I expected. In fact, they were not lame or cheesy at all - they were pretty amazing.
5. B-boy crews hail from surprising countries - like France, and also Russia, Norway, and China.
6. Korea has world-class b-boys.

Ok, so everything I learned at the competition is completely trivial. But it was fun! As is the video below, which shows part of a "battle" between the Gamblerz of Korea the All-Starz of Brazil. Korea is the team - oops, I mean the crew - on the left.

3 comments:

Rachel E. said...

Hmm! Reminds me of a movie a watched a while back with Jammie Kennedy. It really is interesting to watch.

Rachel E. said...

Made a grammar error. I meant a movie I watched... Sorry.

The Van Hulzens said...

I knew that break dancing was not a lost art when I saw it on "So you think you can dance" on TV. The kids think that show is pretty cool. Connor would also think the crew with the name Pokemon is cool too!

Will we see you at Thanksgiving?
heidi