Friday, February 20, 2009

Culinary adventure in the Philippines

I'm still trying to organize the hundreds of photos I took in the Philippines and to get my reflections of the trip down in writing. In the meantime, here's a quick update on some of the more adventurous eating I did there.

First up: barbecued chicken intestines. They were actually not bad!


And slightly more adventurous: tamilok, a worm that lives in mangrove trees. Locals eat them right off the tree; ours were dead and had their insides cleaned out, but served raw. We dipped them in vinegar and squeezed calamansi (similar to lime) juice on them before eating. They have a bit of a seafood flavor, but mostly I just thought they tasted like dirt.



With the exception of tamilok, I liked most of the food in the Philippines. Best of all: the fruit, especially mangoes. The tart green ones are good (hold the salt, thanks), and the sweet yellow ones are even better!



3 comments:

Luminata said...

You are so lucky you can travel. Wish I was with you... :)

http://luminata55.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I consider myself a fairly adventurous eater, but I'm not sure I would be willing to try dirt-flavored tree worms!
- Stephanie

Mary said...

Hi Heather,
Great pictures, as always! It's so great to enjoy your adventures through your writing and pictures. I hope you don't mind, but I copied this post to show my students in school. It will add great interest when we study the Philippines in Geography.
Aunt M