Sunday, May 23, 2010

Arab Lite - Part I

Except for Jordan and Israel, the Middle East has never been high on the list of places I want to visit. I have two friends living there though, and as I knew it would be fun to catch up with them - and that it would be warm and sunny in February - off I went to the United Arab Emirates and Qatar! Now that I've been there, of course, I want to see more. Lebanon, Syria, and Oman have been added to my wish list.

Yes, the trip was in February and it's May now. Rather than procrastinate any longer, I've decided to tackle the blog entries in bite-size chunks. Today's topic:

The Gulf
I always pictured the water in the Persian Gulf looking a bit like the ocean off coast of New Jersey - sort of brown and uninspiring. I could not have been more wrong! Here's a shot of Jumeirah Beach in Dubai:


And here's a city beach in Abu Dhabi:



Still to come: falcons, mosques and Muslims, the Empty Quarter . . .

No comments: